Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Spooky Hallows Surprise Block

This block, "Spooky Magic" is as much a surprise to me as for you.  About a month ago a nice lady, Lynne, left me a long message telling me how much she loved my designs.  She really wants to make "Spooky Hallows" for her 13 year old son.  She also told me that she was going to have to change "Spooky Flowers" as she didn't feel her son would appreciate flowers in his quilt.

I originally designed "Spooky Flowers" because I needed more yellow to balance the quilt.  I just couldn't seem to come up with a good Halloween idea that would be simple enough and have lots of yellow, except flowers.  Now I have to admit that I just love flowers so it wasn't hard to come up with that block.  When I read Lynne's message it just put my mind in a spin.  This block is so important to the color balance.  Just give me a problem to fix and I have to fix it.  LOL

Well, I didn't sleep for two days, mulling over the problem.  Then suddenly I came up with the design for "Spooky Magic" in the middle of the night (3 am) when I was sleeping but awake.  I had to get up right then in order to put the idea on paper or lose it.  When I say paper I really mean my graphic program.  But what better way to show magic than with a Crystal Ball???!!!!  I also needed to design the right stand for the ball because it needed to have green and it needed to be tall.

This whole block is made with the same fabrics as in "Spooky Flowers" to keep it in the same flavor.  When I first finished it I thought, "It just doesn't pop enough". Then I was showing it to my male BFF and he asked me to place it on the finished top so he could see it in the quilt.  When I did, his comment was, "Wow!!"  He thinks I need to take out "Spooky Flowers" and replace it with "Spooky Magic".  Now he's not a quilter, he's a contractor, but I've made him see everything I make any way.  He's been very patient with me.  Now he knows the lingo and keeps up with what I say.  He told me, "The quilt now POPS."  When I stood back and looked I noticed he was right.  The stars just make the quilt so much better and fits the theme better too.  So I may have to do some unsewing.

Oh, I almost forgot!!!  I made this block backwards from the pattern.  My mistake and I was too lazy to correct it.  I didn't want to remake my templates and I figured this was just going to be a pillow anyway.  When placed on the top it didn't seem to matter that the cat is on the other side.  Just click on the photo to go to the free PDF file.

Now this is the 9th block but it is not block 9.  Does that make sense.  Block 9, "Spooky Spells" is a great block and will come out next week.  I will also give you the sashings at that time.  My top is done (unless I replace that block) and boy if I do say so myself, does it look great.  Can't wait to show it to you.

So Lynne, thank you for making me rethink this block.  This one's for you!!!!

I love surprises!!!
Marjory

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! I liked the original quilt but I think the crystal ball block is a great alternative for the flower block. Thanks so much for sharing your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marian your design is fabulous! I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marjory, you quilt blocks are more than just "fun". They make me happy to see them and itch to make them. I'm not a big Halloween fan but these blocks erase that idea and tell me to get going. Thank you so much for your talent and wilingness to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your hard work on these blocks and making them available to us. I SO appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marjory - Thanks for the very nice surprise. I liked the flower block, but I LOVE this one. This is just the very best Halloween quilt I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you post the flower block so we could have a choice of the two?? I am enjoying this quilt. Thank you for the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is posted. Check out anytime between July and now. It may also be in Free Patterns. Marjory

      Delete
  7. Marjory I just stumbled on your blog - this is so special. You are so talented. thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

qltdwallflowers@msn.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...